Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Happy Wednesday...



I love the fall season. It's taken me a long time to get back to this love of the season. My mom passed away 10 years ago on November 1st from pancreatic cancer. I spent the last 2 and 1/2 weeks of her life taking care of her. My husband made it possible (in our early marriage) for me to allow Mom to come home. So, for a while there, though I would love the colors of the season, it was very difficult not to associate it with my loss. Now, it's just a bittersweet time. Mom and I used to do so many things together, especially in the fall when there seemed to be so much more to do. The above photo was taken right outside my back porch door. My husband planted this tree just about 3 years ago, and it's huge. But the thing I love about it most is the gorgeous red colors it turns. I walk into my kitchen and look out the back door and it catches my breath. The leaves start out this firey red, and the longer the leaves stay on the tree they will turn to a gorgeous burgundy. It truly is amazing.




This picture (not very clear, I know) was taken of a ring bearer pillow I made for a friend from work. This is one of the things I do for my shop... custom designed ring bearer pillows. I absolutely hate the white satin ones that look like cookie cutter pillows. They have no personality. So, I read in one of the bride magazines that a custom pillow is another way to introduce your colors of the wedding. I used the same silk flowers the bride had in her bouquet, and the pillow material is this striped sage green organza and silk design. It looks more gray here than in reality. I took white organza ribbon and added it to each corner, so they hung down, and I took green and white varigated ivy and applied a couple of very small leaves to the ribbons. On the back of the pillow,I just added the same color sage green ribbon and tied it into a lovely bow that the ring bearer could just slide his little hand into it. It was so sweet. When I took it to my friend, her ring bearer said with big wide-eyed amazement, "Do I get to keep it?" How cute.


The thumbnail picture that's supposed to be of me is actually my gift shop. I know it's kind of small to see any detail... but, I'll be taking more pictures. And hopefully my photography skills will improve.


Have a lovely day,


PS









6 comments:

Ginger said...

Hi Penny:
I love the red leaves on the tree. Our trees are turning a little yellow now. It's kind of weird when you think how the leaves can go from green to a different color...guess I didn't pay enough attention in science class. lol.
The picture of the ring bearer pillow is adorable.
Is your gift shop in a home? From the picture it looks like a house. You should take some inside pictures and post them, I bet it's cute in there. I need to update my blog page... It's a lot harder than it looks coming up with something to write about.
Ginger

Paula said...

Hey Penny!! I came over here from Ginger's blog....
That is a gorgeous tree! You are so lucky to have it right outside your window, too!! The leaves are just now starting to change where I live, (Tenn.) so I'm hoping for a beautiful fall.

This was a wonderful post, but bittersweet for me as well- my Mom passed away 4 years ago, and this time of year and through the holidays is still hard on me...

Please come and visit me sometime- I would love to hear from you!

English Cottage in Georgia said...

Your tree is splendid in it's fall glory!! The leaves are stunning. I do love the changing seasons!

You have a partner in the desire and quest to become a better photographer. My Walmart "what is good for someone really dumb with technology" digital camera will have to be sufficient until I master it. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny,
Thanks so much for stopping by. I love Autumn, it's my favorite but I can certainly see how losing someone you love so dearly could put a whole new perspective on that season. I love that God's grace and mercy gives us a desire for new beginnings. Stop by anytime.

Have a blessed day!

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Penny Sue said...

Dear Miss LeAnn,

I thank you for your comments. I stopped by Deena's blog page. She is one awesome woman. I cannot even imagine what she is dealing with. But, I admire so very much her courage, her perserverance, and whatever other word you could use to describe a woman of Godly Character. I am a breast cancer survivor (so far). I was diagnosed in April of 2005... so I'm pressing toward my 3rd year of "cancer free" mode. My treatments ended in December of 2005, about one week before Christmas. I guess they start your "cancer free" countdown from your last day of any sort of treatment. I had 6 chemo treatments and 7 and 1/2 weeks of radiation. It all ended just in time for the holidays. God is so good. Even when life is not so great, God is good... all the time.

Anyhow... I appreciate you sharing your faith on your blog. It is so precious.

Mom is in such a better place, I do not wish her to be here with me, but for all of us to be there with her.. and Grandma, Grandy Dad, Uncle Jim... and so many others who are already saying "Hey, what's holding you up?"

Thank you for being so open with your faith. You are an inspiration to me.

Hugs,
PS

SweetAnnee said...

oh I hate canser.

Autumn fills me with joyOh Penny ..your email gave me goosebumps it is so sweet

As a canser survivor you understand..that you are at death's door , but not
afraid as God will heal us..
I prayed and prayed and prayed for a lil babe at our church
yet she died.. I asked God WHY..He said you asked for her to behealed and I did..She's perfect now email me anytime..I love to talk..LOL as you can see

I finished watching "Living Proof" theLifetime Movie and soon to be series.. If this 1998 before the
drug Herceptin was finally approved by the FDA
I would be dead by now
the miracle of that..w/o Herceptin... makes me cry
ok..enough rambling..dEena